One Dead, Several Wounded After Sword Attack at Swedish High School
A quiet industrial town northwest of Stockholm became the site of Sweden’s latest school tragedy on Friday. A sword attack at a Swedish high school in Fagersta left one person dead and at least three others wounded, just as students were settling back into classes after summer break.
What Happened at Brinellskolan in Fagersta

Police received an emergency call just after 2 p.m. local time reporting “ongoing deadly violence” at Brinellskolan, a high school serving roughly 450 students aged 16 to 20. Officers arrived within minutes and confronted a man armed with a sword.
The suspect was shot by police, reportedly in the leg, and taken into custody. Several other schools and public buildings across Fagersta, a town of about 12,000 people, were placed under lockdown as a precaution before it was lifted roughly three hours later.
Casualties: Who Was Hurt in the Sword Attack at Swedish High School
Local police chief Tommy Alriksson confirmed one person was found dead when officers entered the building. Three others were wounded, two seriously enough to require emergency treatment.
Regional health director Jonas Cederberg told reporters two “seriously wounded” patients — boys between 12 and 17 — were admitted to hospital, with one undergoing surgery. A third victim with undetermined injuries was still being transported. Key details so far:
- One person confirmed dead at the scene
- Two boys, aged 12 and 17, seriously injured
- A third person injured, condition unconfirmed at time of writing
- 18-year-old suspect shot in the leg and arrested
The Suspect: What Police Have Confirmed

Alriksson identified the attacker as an 18-year-old man and said investigators currently have no reason to believe more than one person was involved. A motive has not been established.
Swedish broadcaster SVT reported the suspect had a prior assault conviction and wore a helmet while carrying the weapon — a detail that immediately drew comparisons to an earlier attack. Aftonbladet described the weapon as a machete rather than a traditional sword, though official confirmation is still pending.
Eyewitness Accounts From the Scene
Students described chaos and fear as the attack unfolded inside a building many had just returned to for the first day of senior high school. One student, Abdulrahem Salmo, told SVT he saw a victim with a bloody wound to the arm before fleeing.
READ MORE: Harvard Study Links Airline Crew Cancer Risk to Radiation
“Then people called the police, and we just all ran from there because we were afraid,” Salmo said. Madelene Jansson, whose daughter attends the school, told local paper Fagersta-Posten she received a text saying someone had been stabbed moments before the lockdown began. “It feels unreal,” she said.
Government and Royal Reaction

Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson called it a “serious incident” in a post on X, noting it came “right after the summer break” and confirming police were working intensively on the case. Justice Minister Gunnar Strommer echoed that the government remained in close contact with law enforcement throughout the afternoon.
King Carl XVI Gustaf issued a statement saying he received news of “yet another attack on Swedish schools” with dismay and sadness. The monarch’s comment reflects a country that has now weathered several high-profile school attacks within the past decade.
Sweden’s Pattern of School Attacks
Friday’s incident is not isolated. Sweden has recorded a string of violent episodes at educational institutions since 2015, several involving edged weapons rather than firearms.
Here’s how recent attacks compare:
| Year | Location | Weapon | Deaths |
|---|---|---|---|
| 2015 | Trollhättan | Sword | 3 (incl. attacker) |
| 2022 | Malmö | Knife | 2 teachers |
| 2025 | Örebro | Firearm | 10 |
| 2026 | Fagersta | Sword/machete | 1 (confirmed so far) |
- The 2015 Trollhättan attack was ruled a racially motivated hate crime
- The 2025 Örebro shooting remains Sweden’s deadliest mass killing at an educational site
- Friday’s attack marks the second edged-weapon assault on a Swedish school in four years
What Comes Next for School Security in Sweden
Investigators are now working to establish a motive and confirm the exact weapon used. Camera footage from the school is being reviewed, according to police spokesperson Pelle Vamstad, cited by the TT news agency.
For a country that has prided itself on low rates of school violence, Friday’s events reopen a painful conversation. Lawmakers are likely to face renewed pressure over campus security, weapon access, and mental health support for students returning from a violent, uncertain summer.





